The DC Voice salutes the small businesses in and around the District; brick and mortar, online, old and new. Today’s focus: Harvey’s Market
Harvey’s is a family-owned butcher located in Union Market at 1309 5th Street NE with locally sourced meat selling eco-friendly beef, pork, and poultry, owned by George Lezsnar
Founder, Max Chidel opened his meat counter at stand #57 in the historic O Street Market in N.W. Washington, D.C., where they sold quality, local meats with excellent, personalized service.
1931 – Market established
1954 – Max’s son Harvey joined the business and the store now had its name, Harvey’s Market.
1968 – The O Street Market closes after a devastating fire. For three years, Harvey searches for the perfect spot for his butcher shop.
1971 – He finds it inside what was then called the Union Terminal Market. There, Harvey continued the family vision of selling quality meats with excellent service.
1978 – Marty Kaufman joins his father-in-law’s business, a butcher shop right next to Harvey’s Market.
1987 – George Lesznar, already an experienced butcher, is now married to Harvey’s daughter and he becomes part of the family business. He and Marty begin their long-running friendship.
2000 – Harvey retired.
2011 – A fire burns the Union Market, closing Harvey’s.
2012 – PRESENT – George and Marty join forces for a new beginning for Harvey’s, with a renewed focus on local meats from sustainable farms, carrying on the original vision from Max. They personally visit the farms, talk to the farmers and see the animals being raised.